FRIENDS OF ALPHA PARK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Hundreds of libraries across the U.S. benefit from the presence of a Friends group. In my last position, in Texas, I depended on the Friends to underwrite the costs of the Summer Reading Club, pay for computers which the City could not afford to purchase…and the list could go on and on.
Friends provide support for libraries in many ways. Here are some of them:
- In some cases, come together to establish a library where there was none before.
- Serve to educate the greater community about the library, and its services.
- Especially in municipal (city) libraries, advocate for library support from elected officials.
- Assist library staff in volunteer positions, as needed.
- Provide hospitality for library events.
- Raise funds to pay for programs or materials that aren’t workable in the library’s regular budget.
- “Grow” library foundations for ongoing fiscal security of the library.
Not all Friends groups take on all of the causes shown above, but they may choose to work on more than one goal.
A planning group began working in the fall of 2010 to establish a Friends group.
The Friends Always Come Through!
The Friends of the Library have come through for us, once again. We needed a new laptop for use in teaching technology classes…and more. The Friends have purchased that laptop, thereby helping APL conserve its technology budget. Thanks! The Friends is selling more engraved pavers, before Christmas, for the lovely patio that they created on the west side of the library. Because of an increase in material costs, bricks/pavers now cost $35. They may be purchased at the Checkout Desk.
Friends meet during the school year on the second Tuesday of the month at 10:30 a.m. Meetings last no longer than an hour, and have been known to be much shorter still. November 13 is the next meeting—no December meeting.
Questions about the friends? Call Amber Hopwood, Friends president, @ 697-3097.
Meanwhile, visit the Friends’ ongoing book sale at the library, far north wall. All sales benefit APL.