FRIENDS OF ALPHA PARK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Hundreds of libraries across the U.S. benefit from the presence of a Friends group. In my last position, in Texas, I depended on the Friends to underwrite the costs of the Summer Reading Club, pay for computers which the City could not afford to purchase…and the list could go on and on.
Friends provide support for libraries in many ways. Here are some of them:
- In some cases, come together to establish a library where there was none before.
- Serve to educate the greater community about the library, and its services.
- Especially in municipal (city) libraries, advocate for library support from elected officials.
- Assist library staff in volunteer positions, as needed.
- Provide hospitality for library events.
- Raise funds to pay for programs or materials that aren’t workable in the library’s regular budget.
- “Grow” library foundations for ongoing fiscal security of the library.
Not all Friends groups take on all of the causes shown above, but they may choose to work on more than one goal.
A planning group began working in the fall of 2010 to establish a Friends group.
Your Library Friends at Work: From Garden Walk to the BIG Book Sale
Last year the Friends of the Library hosted a great garden walk. Now they’re back with a BIG book sale—that is, BIG compared to the ongoing book sale. Dates: Friday, June 16, and Saturday, June 17. Times: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturday. If you’ve got some terrific books taking up space on your shelves, and want to donate them to the cause, please bring them to the library by mid-May. DVDs and music CDs are welcome, too. No magazines or encyclopedias, please. This will be the Friends’ last hurrah for the season; meetings are the second Tuesday of the month, at 10:30 am. Next date: May 9 and then they will resume in the fall. And—the Friends are replanting our butterfly garden. Take a look on the west side of the building, when you can!
Questions? Call Amber Hopwood, Friends president, at 697-3097.
Meanwhile, visit the Friends’ ongoing book sale at the library, far north wall. All sales benefit APL.