FRIENDS OF ALPHA PARK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Hundreds of libraries across the U.S. benefit from the presence of a Friends group. In my last position, in Texas, I depended on the Friends to underwrite the costs of the Summer Reading Club, pay for computers which the City could not afford to purchase…and the list could go on and on.
Friends provide support for libraries in many ways. Here are some of them:
- In some cases, come together to establish a library where there was none before.
- Serve to educate the greater community about the library, and its services.
- Especially in municipal (city) libraries, advocate for library support from elected officials.
- Assist library staff in volunteer positions, as needed.
- Provide hospitality for library events.
- Raise funds to pay for programs or materials that aren’t workable in the library’s regular budget.
- “Grow” library foundations for ongoing fiscal security of the library.
Not all Friends groups take on all of the causes shown above, but they may choose to work on more than one goal.
A planning group began working in the fall of 2010 to establish a Friends group.
Cutest Pet Contest Fundraiser
The cutest pet contest began on June 15 and will run through July 20. Stop in and use your spare change to vote for the cutest pet! This is a fundraiser for the library. The winner will be announced on July 24, 6-8 p.m. during our Photo with Your Pet event on our new patio. Thank you to the Friends of the Library for sponsoring this contest and hosting the Photo with Your Pet fundraiser.
Photo With Your Pet Fundraiser
July 24, 6:00-8:00 p.m. In conjunction with our Cutest Pet Contest, come to the library for a photo with your pet on our new patio! The outdoor patio can be accessed via the footpath along the west side of the library. We have a professional photographer who will be taking a photo of patrons and their pets for five dollars each.
The next Friends meeting will be held in September, in the meeting room next to the Information (Reference) Desk.
Questions about the friends? Call Amber Hopwood, Friends president, @ 697-3097.
Meanwhile, visit the Friends’ ongoing book sale at the library, far north wall. All sales benefit APL.