As part of our mission to support and encourage a lifelong love of literature, we strive to provide easy access to a variety of materials, in a variety of formats, to meet every reader’s needs. The youth services department of Alpha Park Library is a fun, playful and engaging space for young readers to comfortably connect with books and more.
Please visit us and explore the youth areas, meet your librarians and join in the fun programs we offer. Fun and learning at Alpha Park Library is for all ages!
1. Reading By Design: Summer Reading ClubKick off a great summer adventure by signing the WHOLE FAMILY up for the summer reading club at Alpha Park Library! Registration begins on Thursday, June 1 (You may sign up anytime the library is open after June 1.). The program will run until July 29.
2. Summer Book Club: "James and the Giant Peach"We will discover the adventures of orphaned James Henry Trotter from misery to life inside a giant peach. This beloved tale will also be celebrated on stage this summer, presented by Glasford’s ArcLight productions.
Check the Summer Reading Calendar in the Youth Services Department for a full list of dates. Copies of the book can be checked out directly from the circulation desk. There will also be extra copies available on the dates the book club meets. Have any questions? Call 309-697-3822 x.14
3. APL Summer Park Program - Summer Park Days will run June 5 – Aug. 4The Alpha Park Library and the Village of Bartonville have teamed up to bring special events to the Alpha Park weekdays this summer! Park visitors will be able to check out equipment like puzzles, games, balls, books and much more Monday-Friday from 9:30 am-1:30 pm. (Equipment must be turned in to attendant by 1:30 pm.) This family-friendly program is free and open to all ages, kids and adults, but children should be supervised by caregivers. We will offer different games daily led by staff for kids and senior citizens. Check the library’s summer reading calendar for further details or contact the Information Desk at (309) 697-3822 x.13.
4. 2017 Solar Eclipse Viewing Event - Monday, August 21, 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.While the eclipse will not be a total eclipse in our area (it will be in southern IL!), we will still have quite a viewing experience here in Bartonville. APL will provide safe viewing glasses and will project the NASA LiveStream from Carbondale. Drop in to try different activities and learn more about eclipses with your friends and family during this special event! Add to my
5. Construction Club - Tuesday, August 29, 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.Attention architects! Builders can now join us MONTHLY for a building challenge and some free design time. Materials will be provided. No registration required. Come by and join the fun! Add to my
- Storytimes are held in six-week sessions throughout the year. Sessions may include books, fingerplays, crafts, songs, games, and/or videos. Children must be the appropriate ages at the first class of each session.
Book Babies: Parents/caregivers with babies ages 12-24 months are invited to the library for activities. Songs, creative time, group play, and resource ideas will be shared.
Wednesdays, 10:00 to 10:30 am
June 7, 14, 21, 28
July 5, 12
Toddlertime: Storytime for 2-year-olds with an adult.
Tuesdays, 10:00 to 10:30 am
June 6, 13, 20, 27
Bookworms: Storytime for ages 3 to 6.
Tuesdays, 10:30-11:15 a.m.
June, 6, 13, 20, 27
Wednesdays, 1:00-1:45 p.m.
June 7, 14, 21, 28
July 5, 12
Thursday Tales: Storytime for 2 or 3-year-olds with an adult.
Thursdays, 10:00 - 10:30 a.m.
June 8, 15, 22, 29
July 6, 13
STEAM Readers: Storytime for ages 4 to 8 that will focus on STEAM topics
(Science, Engineering, Art, and Math).
Monday evenings, 6:30 to 7:00 pm
June 5, 12, 19, 26
July 3, 10